I lurk about the Kealia Pond National Wildlife Refuge early mornings on days when the wind is slack and the sky is blue. The part of the Park I visit is an abandoned Cat Fish farm with dikes separating ponds from the rest of the wetlands. I discovered the place in the middle of a severe drought and the Rangers were pumping water to keep the wild life going. Since the ponds were the only source of water hundreds of rare and endangered birds were concentrated in one area and I had the ability to take their snapshots with my inexpensive underpowered camera equipment.
It’s always been a challenge because in telephoto mode the images produced were marred by noise if the film speed settings were to high and/or blurry because the lens is slow. Another issue is that there is major shutter lag and then it takes seconds for the camera to write to the memory chip. The camera is fine for taking snapshots of plants because they don’t move to fast. You would think that with photoshop you could bend any image to acceptable appearance but, even though I shoot in Raw, chromatic aberration becomes an issue. Consequently Shooting birds and surfing is a challenge but it’s really fun trying to get good stuff (not to mention the locations are incredibly beautiful) and when I succeed in getting something interesting it’s really satisfying. Also we have crazy good light on Maui otherwise I wouldn’t have a chance.
On the last visit to the Ponds before I took the pictures in the gallery above I was surprised to have been buzzed by an Aeo right after getting out of car. These birds mostly just gracefully lounge around feeding off the bottom of the pond and are extremely furtive, flushing at any approach, and here was one coming at me! This time of year the dikes are closed off because the there are nesting birds and only the parking lot has been available. I was so startled by that bird flying over me that I couldn’t even point the camera much less get an action photo. After this first encounter there was no more activity but I kind of got close to some Coots so I decided to keep at it, early morning visits, and maybe between the absence of normal traffic and nesting birds I would get a opportunity to grab an interesting image.
This was the setting: a little after 7am with the first direct light peaking over Haleakala. No action: placid almost glassy water and serene birds. The dikes still closed off I just strolled to the edge of the parking lot next to a pond and took some snapshots of Aeo feeding. Then one started to make noise and then all hell broke loose. A pair of birds starting swooping with their pink legs extended. Finally a very immature heron staggered out of the brush. I don’t know if he aimed to do some damage, like gobbling down a stilt chick or eating eggs, or he was in the wrong place at the wrong time. The stilts mobbed him, and he made BEEG noise, I’d never heard a heron make any sound. It was a kind of goose hiss but higher pitched. I’d never seen these different varieties of birds do anything but silently, peacefully, and stealthily coexist with the other birds in the ponds.
It was quite comical: with pink legs the Aeo were like Nazis in drag. At the same time the scene was cartoon because the heron has bright yellow legs so it was more like Roger Rabbit then wild kingdom. Herons tend to saunter around slowly until they find a likely spot to fish and then freeze, as in petrified bird. But this one had to keep moving so as not to get beat up to bad. All of a sudden he looked up and saw me and came over for my protection. This was the first time a heron ever came towards me –they are normally just as furtive as the Aeo, flushing or at least ambling away at any close approach so I have dozens of shots of herons ass’s. It was like “hey, buddy pal friend, make them stop beating on me,” and it worked, the Nazis stopped bothering him. He took a breath, looked around, and flew off to a safer part of the 450 acre park.
- Housekeeping - Guest Request Attendant - Full Time - Waldorf Astoria Hotels & Resorts - Wailea, HIA Guest Request Attendant is responsible for delivering Housekeeping items in response to guest requests in the hotel's continuing effort to deliver outstanding…From Hilton - Tue, 22 Jun 2021 15:32:04 GMT - View all Wailea, HI jobs
- Guest Relations Manager - Ho'olei at Grand Wailea - Waldorf Astoria Hotels & Resorts - Wailea, HIExperience in hospitality, villa/condo management, front office or hotel operations is highly favored including a minimum of 2 years in a supervisory role.From Hilton - Tue, 22 Jun 2021 15:32:04 GMT - View all Wailea, HI jobs
- Chef de Cuisine, Humu - Grand Wailea, A Waldorf Astoria Resort - Waldorf Astoria Hotels & Resorts - Wailea, HIMonitor and develop team member performance to include, but not limited to, providing supervision and professional development, conducting counseling and…From Hilton - Tue, 22 Jun 2021 15:32:02 GMT - View all Wailea, HI jobs
- Customer Service Agent - Sixt Rent A Car - Kahului, HIMust be at least 21 and have a valid driver's license with a clean driving record. Discreetly check vehicle for damage on incoming vehicles and direct customer… $16 an hourFrom Indeed - Tue, 22 Jun 2021 15:30:45 GMT - View all Kahului, HI jobs
- Rental Coordinator - Hawthorne Machinery Co. - Kahului, HIMust have a valid Hawaii Drivers License. With the approval by the Rental Supervisor, advise and bill the customer for the cost of repair for machine abuse.From Indeed - Tue, 22 Jun 2021 15:19:19 GMT - View all Kahului, HI jobs
- Family Service Counselor - SCI Shared Resources, LLC - Wailuku, HICurrent state/province issued driver’s license with an acceptable driving record. Insurance license if required by state/province law and as prescribed by each…From Service Corporation International - Mon, 21 Jun 2021 15:34:01 GMT - View all Wailuku, HI jobs
- Funeral Arranger - SCI Shared Resources, LLC - Wailuku, HICurrent state/province issued driver’s license with an acceptable driving record. Assists with general office duties including answering phones and preparing…From Service Corporation International - Thu, 17 Jun 2021 03:34:37 GMT - View all Wailuku, HI jobs
- Sales Associate - J.McLaughlin - Kīhei, HIAct as the Brand Ambassador by embracing the company culture to develop and cultivate strong relationships with clients and our communities.From Indeed - Thu, 17 Jun 2021 00:55:31 GMT - View all Kīhei, HI jobs
- Ho'olei Guest Relations Attendant - Full Time - Waldorf Astoria Hotels & Resorts - Wailea, HIBuild relationships and create value for all guests. Acknowledge guest differences and cater to special needs.From Hilton - Fri, 11 Jun 2021 15:31:47 GMT - View all Wailea, HI jobs
- Marketing Coordinator - Full Time - Waldorf Astoria Hotels & Resorts - Wailea, HIAssist the Director of Sales and Marketing and the Sales and Marketing team with administrative and clerical support to include, but not limited to, proofing…From Hilton - Fri, 11 Jun 2021 12:31:43 GMT - View all Wailea, HI jobs